Saturday, February 26, 2011

large green...COILED BASKET

This post is about one of my passions; a coiled basket I wove. I love the hand-work of wrapping an element over and under and then pulling it tight to join the rows coils. I also enjoy the analizing and choosing the basket's shape, which color or fabric to put where and when to leave a strip to attach a bead.
This basket measures 10" high and 17" wide. It has a bound paper core which is coiled with fabric strips and yarns of cotton, wool and silk. One The picture is of the green fabric used to coil the basket. The fabric is randomly painted and then torn into strips. The paint serves the purpose of adding depth and additional colors which helps to tie in all the other yarns and fabrics also used to weave the basket.


Weaving this basket was part of my down fall at a previous job. My employers and I were not in agreement that basket weaving was a permissable activity to do when I worked 3rd shift EVEN IF all my work was done and all clients were safe and taken care of. It took time but I finally got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment