Wednesday, April 13, 2011

QUILT for John & Jessica - Part One

Do you like to sew quilts? Creating machine-stitched, patchwork quilts is an activity I thoroughly enjoy. My love of sewing and working with fabrics began when I was 12 years old. In a  Home Economics class I was taught how to sew on a sewing machine. We sewed aprons; mine was a blue gingham check material. That same year my Great Aunt Frances died. With money from Aunt Frances my parents kindly spent $100 and bought me a Sears Kenmore Sewing machine. That was 40 years ago and I still sew on the Kenmore machine as well as a newer Singer sewing machine.

Using my new Kenmore machine, I took up sewing with a passion. I sewed dresses and shirts for myself and family members. At age 13, I made my own star patchwork design. I sewed the design with 4 repeats, creating a 2” x 2” finished.Then I took several of the  patchwork sections, mounted them on wooden stretcher frames and entered a local art fiar to sell my patchwork designs as wall art. My only buyers that day were my parents but I was very proud to be displaying and selling my artwork!

From then on I continued sewing and selling my artworks at art fairs and galleries. Today, I have come a long way with my sewing and artistic skills.I am still moved by playing with fabric patterns and colors to create a quilt design but my craftsmanship and design sophistication has progressed to a much higher level.

John & Jessica’s quilt is my current project. John is my oldest son. He is in an Army linguistics training program in Monterey, California. Last month he married Jessica, his high school sweet-heart. I couldn't be there for their wedding but I sure can put my heart and talents into making them a warm, cosy quilt for their new life together. For the main colors they chose all tints and shades of purple and blue-grey.  

Last month I watched an inspirational sewing program on PBS television. I decided to incorporate t he patchwork design form the program into this quilt. The featured design uses 9 squares of one color fabric going from light to dark.

The pattern is comprised of 9, 2-3/4" fabric squares

No comments:

Post a Comment